Friday, September 2, 2011

Constantinople The Owl:)


Constantinople, has the owl constellation on his tummy and inside it too!
There are some gold bubbles that can be seen through his window-like front.
Georgie made C out of Triton, a reduction glass from Double Helix, and it has turned shades of blue as well as breaking into iridescent streaky cream striations (let's call them space clouds) . His ears are Mystic Grey, a translucent grey glass and his eyes are wonderful multi-hued nebulae.
I won this gorgeous blown glass owl from a blog giveaway at
The Glass Owl November 22 2009.
I finally picked out my beads and accessories and made this wonderful and very special necklace:)
Thankyou Georgie for your generous gift it means so much to me:)
A little about the artist:
All beads are made by Georgie with enthusiasm and care in her home studio in Melbourne, Australia from Moretti/Effetre, Vetrofond, German and/or American glasses.

This was my entery comment that was picked:
My grandmother collected owls and when she passed away I got to pick out a white owl statue I keep it in my china hutch.
I found a story about owls:
The Owl was associated with the Greek goddess Pallas Athena. Soldiers have held the Owl as a special bird because it stays awake at night, which is the hardest time for soldiers to stay awake.
Some Native Americans see the Owl as the symbol of the soul.
I like this as my hubby is Airforce and our youngest daughter age 3 is Athena.
If I won the owl I would go to my local bead shop and make a necklace to wear:)
The owl reminds me of my grandmother she was always looking out for me ((((Hugs))))Darcy

5 comments:

Mereknits said...

Love the owl necklace and I think you picked out everything perfectly. I also hve heard the owl is a messanger from spirits who have passed. If you hear an owl hooting it is a great sign. Hope you are all well.
Happy weekend,
Meredith

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

Thankyou Meredith I think of my grandmother every time I see an owl we have alot out here I see them on my nightly walks:)(((Hugs)))Darcy

kathy b said...

Awe as a night nurse I will claim the owls as my key to stay alert too.....my word verification is humid......so appropriate

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

Yes it is hot here in the desert too.(((Hugs))))Darcy

Katherine said...

The owl necklace is beautiful!

Our third son, Adam, seems to draw owls to him. Every house we lived in had an owl outside his bedroom window. They would whoooo and keep him awake at night. Now he is a surgical nurse on a late night shift and staying awake is second nature.